Thursday, November 30, 2017

Decorating the House

I'm not sure what it is that is making us all eager for Christmas this year, but we couldn't wait to start decorating.  Maybe its the fact that the long fall is over, or maybe its because Arthur and Eli headed to the auction for the day to sell off our beef calves for the year, or maybe its just the thought of all the people that will be coming through our door in the next four weeks! Whatever the reason, we had a lot of fun today! We got a new fake tree this year.  It looks so "perfect" after having real trees for a few years! I like to put all my favorites on, the poinsettias and snowflakes, bulbs and sparkles, and then fill it in with treasured ornaments. That includes a variety of cow ornaments that the grandkids love finding!

Above the bookshelves in our living room I put the family picture the girls got us last year for Christmas along with garland and lights.

The buffet got a more woodland look with an adorable reindeer and the two trees. I'm pretty happy with the trees. They took all of about 15 minutes to make! We'll see how long the bowl of Hershey kisses last!

Miriam put up the giant snowflakes and garland on the kitchen shelf.

Hosanna put up our Bethlehem village on the piano.

Priscilla always sets the village up in the china cabinet. The kids love seeing who can find certain things first, as we ask "Where's the cat?" kind of questions. 

And then there was little Heidi who joined us today. She loved the lights!

Okay, I know that's a lot of decorations, and we haven't done our bedrooms yet. I get it from my mom who faithfully decorated our house from top to bottom each year growing up, as did her mom. It's just in my blood and brings back so many good memories!

My favorite thing about Christmas though, is not only how people tend to put aside the problems of the world, or the special times with family, but the real reason for the season - Baby Jesus! Most of the year people just forget Jesus even came, but Christmas is such a good reminder that we have a Savior that was born about 2,000 years ago, and is still alive today! I know December 25th isn't the exact date of Jesus' birthday, but does it even matter? I'm just so thankful for another day to remind me to be thankful for Him and what He's done for me.

Have a wonderful time remembering the real reason for the season as you decorate your home this Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. What a warm, beautifully decorated home!! What a wonderful tradition to pass on.
    debzky

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house looks so pretty!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looken good! I really like the family pic above the tv.
    The Fox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful decorations! Looking forward to decorating our house with my family. Those little villages are my favorite. Once the decorations are up, and the Christmas music starts playing, I know December has come, and I just think of family even more. And, the birth of Jesus Christ comes alive again, and I'm reminded that God came to save me, because of a love so deep and merciful I can't explain.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say!