Saturday, June 9, 2018

Men

We just finished a great week of Vacation Bible School! We had such an awesome team of leaders!! It was fun to see them bravely teaching lessons or leading songs when I knew some of them were pretty terrified! We had 95 kids total and talk about energy! It helped that the weather was just perfect and not too hot and no rain. I don't have any statistics with me but I know that there were a lot of kids that made salvation and character decisions. Our theme was the armor of God and we had a character trait for soldiers each day. The boys especially loved the theme.

Now, men. We hear that when students leave for college or adulthood, so many of them drop out of the church. After years and years of working with VBS, I wonder if we aren't losing the men from the time they are young.

Let me explain. Quite consistently, year after year, we have about half the number of boys at VBS compared to girls. We've had a lot of youth groups come visit the corn maze and there are always considerably less guys than girls.  Some youth groups are more like 90 percent girls and 10 percent guys. It looks to me like we are losing them not when they reach adulthood but from the time they are young.

Are we parents teaching them that ball practice takes priority or other fun activities from the time they are young? Are we teaching them that spiritual things aren't for them? I know families that have sent their girls to vbs but the boys just stay home. Why? I'm not sure why, but the problem with godly young men is starting way younger than people think. It's starting way back when parents decide their boys don't need things like VBS when their girls do. We don't run a traditional Sunday School but I would guess it might be the same way in churches that do that as well.

It's no wonder there are so few godly young men of marriageable age when half are missing from almost day one!

I guess I want to encourage any parents out there to make sure your boys priorities are right from day one. Help them to understand that spiritual things are more important than ball games or swimming lessons or whatever. I applaud those mothers that pick their kids up at vbs, bring them to ball practice, and bring them back to vbs when its over. At least they make the effort to get them there as much as possible instead of saying a complete no to vbs.

I know that VBS and things like that are not a guarantee that boys will turn out to be godly men. Girls either. Ultimately, each person has to make their own commitment whether they will live for Christ or not. But it sure helps to give them the right foundation! Please, parents, do what you have to do to make sure your boys, and girls, get all the spiritual input you can possibly get! That, and give them opportunities to use what they learn! 


I would love to hear your input from areas around the country to see if this is true everywhere.

I'm sorry I haven't posted more. We have been so busy that I find even posting to be more than I can handle! I will try to do better!  Meanwhile, have a wonderful Lord's Day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you have to say!