Sunday, December 15, 2019

Churches - Trip to Ohio Part II

Okay, I one thing we enjoy when we travel is to visit different churches. I know when we have visitors at our church, which is a small church, it is such an encouragement. So we like to visit other churches, make new friends, encourage them, and learn from God's Word at the same time! (Hopefully we're an encouragement!)

On this trip to Ohio, because it was over a week long, we visited three different churches. Each was an Independent Baptist Church. It was one of the highlights of our trip! On the way down we stopped at Park Meadows Baptist Church in Illinois as we flew through the town to get to Ohio. We have always loved going to this church but hadn't been there for five years. They have a different pastor since we were there last who preached a great message on the Prayer of Jabez.

That evening we visited Nate and Hosanna's church in Xenia, Ohio. They had a special speaker and for a small church, their singing was fantastic and the fellowship was so good!  So nice to meet the people Nate and Hosanna hang out with! I loved how the people hung around and visited afterwards, a good sign of a healthy church!

On the way home we stopped by a church in Superior, Wisconsin. I want to say it was the Twin Ports Baptist Church. The singing was great there and the message was just what we needed to hear. Being hunting season, and being Wisconsin, they decorated their church with deer and fish mounts. Arthur loved it! We had driven by this church many times and were so glad for the chance to finally stop and visit.

So, my takeaways are this:

#1 - I heard one time about how churches cater to women, from the praise music where the men don't participate as much, to the decorations. Well, The Twin Ports Baptist Church didn't have to worry about the decor! The music was great in all of them too!  And I don't want to criticize those that use praise music in their services, but every time we are somewhere that uses it, with a worship team, aside from my personal music convictions, I am disappointed because I feel like the songs are high, and geared toward the women and good singers. Those of us that sing alto, or lower, and aren't the greatest singers in the world, just don't fit in and can't hardly sing along. I encourage you next time you're in a church like this, to see how many men or ladies that sing alto are really enjoying the singing. Can you hear the parts? Maybe the melody is great, but God made everyone with different voices. Just my observation. I also struggle standing in one spot for fifteen minutes singing. It must be even more difficult for people older than I am.

#2 - Where are the young adults?  Maybe they're all in our church? I don't know but it seems like everywhere we go, my adult girls are the only single ones their age.  Just a sad observation.

#3 - Churches that have children's church are missing out on the blessing of having children in their services. I love having children in church during the service even if there is some noise with it. As I get older the noise bothers me a little more, but I am still so happy for the parents who set an example for their children by sitting with them and teaching them to listen to God's Word being preached.

#4 - The next time you travel, take time to visit a church you normally don't. You will be blessed, maybe make some friends, and it will help you appreciate the church you normally go to! It will also encourage you because, I don't know about you, but sometimes it feels like the church as a whole is slipping into the world and it is so encouraging to meet other believers who are like minded and care about the things of God more than what is popular today.

Just some random thoughts about churches and our trip to Ohio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you have to say!