Thursday, December 9, 2010

Just for You, Naomi! (And everyone else that has been waiting for us to post!)

Seems like a long time since I've posted.  It was so much easier when Naomi was around and actually, though we've been really busy, there's not much to post about.  Cleaning, church, baking, cleaning, church, baking, is about it.

So, I thought I'd tell you a little about our Christmas tree.  It's so exciting to Daniel and David which makes it so much fun!  The girls typically decorate the house and I decorate the tree.  It's not one you'll see on Martha Stewarts website or like a gorgeous mall tree but it's our tree.  I told the girls that someday I'm going to get all new decorations but they said, "But then it won't be our tree." 

Anyway, what I really love about our tree is the ornaments.  They may not be special to anyone else, other than Daniel and David, but they are to me. 

There's the two hearts with Arthur and my name on them that a friend gave me the Christmas before we got married.  

 There's the cute mice that another friend gave me when we were teenagers and working on a mink farm.  When we'd clean nesting boxes there were quite often mice in them, something I detest!  So, it's a memory of that time and that friend. 

Then there's the cute little girl on skates that you can see near the bottom.  One year Arthur's grandma let each of the grandchildren pick a decoration to keep off of her abundantly decorated tree and I picked the girl skater.  Reminds me of Arthur's grandma. 

Then, there's the stocking with the mink fur trim, another memory from mink farm days and all the lessons I learned from the owners of the farm. 

My sister has given me a painted ornament many years and they are probably the prettiest things on the tree which reminds me of her generosity. 

There are numerous cows.  Some from friends, and some from our white elephant exchange last year in Arthur's family. 

Cutest of all are the gingerbread boys and girls with each of our chidren's names on them.  Amos and Naomi have theirs now for their own trees. 

 Some of the pretty balls with the nativity scene on them I bought to decorate at a ladies tea one Christmas.  

 As out of style as it might be, I like the tinsel that reflects off the lights. 

There's lots more that I use some years but not every year.  Anyway, decorating the tree always brings happy memories to mind.  It is fun to see it from Daniel's eyes where he loves to say, "Cow", "Jesus", "Angel". 

Well, that's all.  I'll try to post more often, Naomi! 

4 comments:

  1. I always loved seeing your tree when I was little!! I think it was all the tinsel. :) So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, makes me cry. I can hear that Momma heart missing when her big ones were little. They sure grow fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture!!! We pray you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! May you have a wonderful time celebrating the birth of Jesus and time with family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! It was worth waiting for...

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say!