Monday, March 30, 2009

Red Envelope Day

(I read about this a few weeks ago and seeing it again today I was reminded that even though it might seem like a little thing to do, it is something we can do. If you decide to send a red envelope or two or three, take time to pray that it will have an impact. Sometimes when I hear the news it gets so depressing and I wonder if there's anything I can do to change things for the better in our nation. This is, something I can do.)

Posted: March 30, 20091:00 am Eastern© 2009

People are always asking me what they can do about the problems plaguing America.
"Farah," they say, "you're great at pointing out the problems, but what can I do to make an impact? How can my voice be heard? How can I make an impact?"

I'm here to plug one of those unique opportunities to make your voice heard – in conjunction with hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, of others.
It's something you can only do tomorrow.
Hey, I know it's short notice.
But this is easy.
It's part of an under-the-radar movement that has been gaining steam for months.
It's called Red Envelope Day.
And the premise is very simple.

Tomorrow, send a red envelope to Barack Obama.
His address is:
President Barack Obama The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. Washington, D.C. 20500
You own his house, so you should know.
On the outside of the envelope, write: "This envelope represents one child who died in abortion. It is empty because that life was unable to offer anything to the world. Responsibility begins with conception."
Next week, the White House is expected to receive hundreds of thousands of empty red envelopes, symbolizing the moral outrage of abortion. Maybe it will receive millions.
Can you imagine the impact?
I know there is no way we're going to change Obama's mind about abortion or the value and sanctity of human life.
But when he is surprised by this flood of red envelopes on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week, it might make him think twice about his radical anti-life agenda and just how far he is willing to go promoting it with your tax dollars and under your authority.
And who knows? Maybe, just maybe, it might even do more.
"I wish we could send 50 million red envelopes, one for every child who died before having a chance to live," said Christ Otto, the grassroots organizer who came up with the idea. "Maybe it will change the heart of the president."
I'm not optimistic about that.
But what a statement it will make!
Do those 50 million aborted babies deserve any less consideration from us?
Personally, I'm going to the stationers in my neighborhood today to buy up all the red envelopes I can find to make my statement.
It's not the solution to ending abortion.
But it does make a powerful statement.
If there is any conscience at all operating inside that White House, it could be a very convicting demonstration.
It certainly can't hurt.
And I admire the spirit and the inspiration behind this grassroots movement. It wasn't led by any politician. It doesn't serve some commercial purpose. It is not self-serving in any way. It is a small sacrifice we can all make tomorrow to make our voices heard on the most important issue we face – the issue of life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you have to say!